Sunday, April 02, 2006

Grave visiting

Ahh I'm so tired after Ching Ming. I left for Pangkor yesterday for grave visiting and came back today. Did a lot of eating, food testing, food hunting and food eating this year on the way to Pangkor and back. Will update Eat First Think Later on that when I have the time, and of course, I'll keep all you food lovers posted when it's up.


The dangling roots of the tree grew over the hut over the years. Cool huh.


I'm not sure what god this is but my relatives usually pray to this god before we head to my grandpa's grave. I think he might be the grave keeper or some sort like that.


This is another "I don't know what god". But I call it my grandpa's grave security guard god because its house sits at the side of my grandpa's grave entrance.


This is my grandpa's grave. I never had a chance to meet him. He passed away a few months after my parents got married.


My relatives and I are just hanging around preparing for the prayer. The colourful papers that are placed on the grave acts like my grandpa’s house’s roof in his after life location. So it’s a must to cover his grave every year. It’s not an easy job because we have to make sure there are no gaps left… no one wants a leaky roof right hehe.


According to my uncle and my dad, my grandpa smokes. He's a Dunhill person they say. That's my cousin in the picture "giving" my grandpa a ciggie... it's not a Dunhill though.


We used colorful and glitter joysticks this year. Cool stuff! And it smells good when it burns! The typical burnt part of the josstick will turn in to ash and fall off but this one stays intact with a glittery gold look too!


The extra josstick is stuck on my grandpa's grave to keep the colored papers from flying away with the wind. We also "blasted" 3 sets of firecrackers to celebrate... we only had 1 last year, don't know why 3 this year. ...personally I think too much man...


Hell money!!!! hahahahaha! After the prayer, hell money, and other paper goods are actually burnt. It is believe that anything we burn for my grandpa will appear before him. The usual goods are like gold bars, cash and clothes. We sometimes also have more unique things for my grandpa. Sometimes a new handphone and I think ones a car. I think I have got to get him a game console and a HD TV next year!


Ahh monkeys. I saw a bunch of them, and me and my sister heard boars. The monkeys usually visits the graves too when their less monkey relatives (that's us) leave. It's a custom\tradition or something to leave something back at the grave. My family usually leave a bowl of rice. The monkey you see in the picture are actually eating cakes that were left behind.


Homemade tapioca and sultana paus that my aunty made for the offering. We get to eat all the food after the prayer. HOHOHO.

5 Comments:

At 12:47 AM, Blogger arwen said...

The dude at the altar is Tai Pat Kung...I know it sounds familiarly like something in Cantonese... :) He's supposedly some hell guard god. I think they have a prayer festival for him during Hungry Ghost Festival. He actually looks more okay here, the ones that I've seen during Hungry Ghost is super ugly scary frightening one leh.

The one of the ground is Dei Chi Kung. Yeah, you're right he's like the security guard...but high class one. Floor manager/ supervisor, he jaga everything on the ground. I remember there's one more god for the ground...an old couple, forgot what name.

Eh, your parents let you take pics at the grave?? Not pantang meh? My folks never allow me to do that. Aye, don't ask me how I know all these. I also didn't know I'd know, haha.

Anyway, I see you got a feast there! One whole roasted pork. When my grandpa was around, we (when I was too small to remember anything) used to have TWO whole roasted pork and two big tables of stuff to "pai tin kung". I'm in need of good char siew n siew yuk here, man. Btw, the paus looks yummy.

 
At 3:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

eh wen, siew yuk is damm easy la...u go buy pork belly...about 5inches by 5 inches by about 3cm thick like that... some '5 spice powder', cooking salt and ALSO table salt..the rest i teach u how to make later if u wanna know...cos i'm pretty sure houses/apartments in aussie has got an oven in them...very very very easy one..i myself made it damm many times before...good to marinate the meat at least one day before..keep it refrigerated..just to get the flavors in..yum yum

char siew...very tedious and if got pressure cooker, very easy..and the caramel after that...hehehe...put right onto a plate of hot steamy rice..you would love it man..trust me..hehehe

 
At 6:30 AM, Blogger teckiee said...

wen: no la...got pantang one meh. None of my relatives said anything...and my other cousin took pics with his cam too.

LOL...i didn't know all that god stuff man but interesting. If only you can bribe the gods cos the hell gate keeper

jk, wen: char siew easy only la... i got the recipe with me.. send to you la. China town dont have meh?

 
At 2:35 AM, Blogger arwen said...

yeah teach me wei! email the recipe to me. Wahahahha, I'm gonna de-halal all the microwave, stove n oven in my flat. I stay with 4 muslims.

perth is a very sad place. i dont think there's a chinatown here. got oriental food place n shops only. their idea of "char siew" here is pinkish color one, the skin. like those vegetarian meat, u get what i mean. *bleah*

never see ppl sell siew yuk here.

im salivating thinking of the char siew sauce on my rice..... im gonna eat so much when i get back.

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger teckiee said...

wen : ok check your gmail. Sent yo u already

 

Post a Comment

<< Home