Monday, April 10, 2006

Colorful markers and mahjong papers

Since I'm bumming around this week, I decided to do some spring cleaning around the house and in my room. I cleared out a lotttt of junk. I can't imagine how so much junk I could collect within a few months. I remembered I threw out 3 boxes full of junk just before Chinese New Year!

Anyway, I came across all my old college books, lecture slides and my study notes. Flipping back at all the notes brought a nostalgic feeling to me. I miss studying. I really do. Studying was easy.

I also found all my colorful markers, pens, highlighter and mahjong paper! HAHAHAHA I'm guessing you are blur. No, I'm not a kid obsessed with color pencils and large blank paper to draw on. Those are actually my key stationary for my studies back in college.

My room walls were covered by, what I call, my study posters. They are actually just sheets of paper, large mahjong paper actually, filled with diagrams and mind maps. I would also write some key point and some notes on them just as reference just in case I forgot the meaning of my notes.

My mom could not understand what I needed to do that. She scolded me once because she said the tape I was using could destroy the paint, so I used blue tag instead. Problem solved. But she still could not understand why I had my notes duplicated and blown up to mahjong papers.

Well, let me give you a few scenarios.

1# I wake up in the morning, walk to the bathroom and start to brush your teeth. I turn back and see this big title on the wall saying "SDLC Cycle". I turn back facing the mirror, continue to brush my teeth, but in my mind, I start to recite the 7 cycles in SDLC.

2# I run to the toilet because I'm having a stomach problem. I'm too quick to remember to bring something to read. *hehehe* So, I will just pop my head out to my room (my toilet is attached to my room, so my room door is closed one la) and search for a title. I see "BCG Matrix" and I will start explaining to myself what the BCG matrix and what it's used for and how to implement the matrix to real life scenarios.

3# When washing my hair, I usually leave my conditioner on for a while before I wash it off. But waiting is a drag. What do I do? Pop my head out and look for a title. And I tell myself "The bastion host, the DMZ, the firewall.... and so on".

4# During when I'm facing sleeping problems, rolling around the bed, the mind won't seem to shut off, might as well put it to good use. I would have the lights turned off, but in my hand holds a torch light. I would go on and on explaining and reciting to myself on my notes until I fall asleep. I do this a lot nearing and during the exam actually! HAHAHA.

See, notes on the wall are useful, especially for forgetful people like me. So if you are those who can explain a fact, but can't remember the key points, try using this technique.

But remember, you can't score by memorizing. Remember to explain some examples and some implementation to yourself too.

3 Comments:

At 10:56 PM, Blogger arwen said...

i dont have notes on my walls, but i stuck bible verses on my wardrobe door back home. coz i always stand there thinking of what to wear.

darn...should have done that during in highschool and college, maybe then i wouldnt have failed.

*respect* your study methods

 
At 7:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

geng !

 
At 9:52 PM, Blogger teckiee said...

wen: hahah u still do it over at OZ. just use perm marker...hahah leave the next fellar that will take over your room with your notes

Jing: hehehe you and sy can share the wall!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home