Monday, April 17, 2006

casual everydaySSSSS

I wasn't sure what to expect from my new company on the LRT on the way to work. And now after the first day of work... I still don't know what I can expect from the company.

I was there 15 minutes before 9am. I took the lift up and ehhh the office wasn't even open. I went back down and had a walk around the office area and checked out stalls that were there. I headed back up expecting someone to be there already because it was 5 minutes to 9 but nope. The door was still closed and locked. The only thing that was there was the newspaper laying in front of the door. I went to the washroom to freshen up because I was starting to feel nervous. I took my time.

Looked at the watch, the was 9.05am. Ok, there should be someone in by now. The door was open so I rang the bell. Someone came to greet me and left me in a conference room because it seems no one else was in yet.

9.20am. At last the HR manager was in to give me my orientation briefing. Later I found out that the working hours on paper was 9 to 6 but no one actually comes in until 9.30. What does the big boss say? As long if it's before 9.30 its fine... and later I also found out that the first person that came today (and the person who greeted me) was actually the big boss!

Anyway, I invaded and took over someone else's cubicle because there weren't any cubicle for me. The office was really cramped. People coming in fast but they could not move to a new larger office in time. I had to empty out some stuff and drawers myself. I was given my laptop and thennnn...

My supervisor came and brief me on my work. Yada yada yada and boom, he put 2 thick books in front of me and said... "Well I won't be wasting your time, you have to complete that in a week". *glups* My whole day after that was really like in college except this is all self learning instead of listening to lectures.

And yep, it's always hard to stay awake!

So was leaving my previous job a good decision? Let's see.

1# I've learnt more in that 5 hours reading than in the 16 months of my first job.
2# I get my own laptop and INTERNET ACCESS! Plus I get to install what ever I want provided I be smart about it la. 1gig of RAM and 100gig harddrive! MUAHAHAHA! But I'm told not to be too happy about it because I will be running a lot of heavy applications that even 1gig proves insufficient. And 100gig of hard drive is small when the file I’ll be creating will be over 2gigs per file. ....and I have to lug the darn laptop to and from the office.
3# People are friendly and slumber. And the bosses are great.
4# It's not casual Fridays... but casual everydaySSSSS
5# The pantry and photocopying room is in the same place. Very cramped up, no more fresh coffee, no microwave, no fridge, no table to eat on. And a very unsafe place if compared to my previous company's policies.
6# My cubicle is also super cramped up and not enough leg space. I think I'm too used to the comfy space I have in my previous company.
7# The network switch is right in front of me. One thing weird though, so one seem's to be connected to the switch. We are all connected wirelessly.

Overall, OK la. I'm glad I'm no longer in my previous too relaxed and brain dead job though I miss the company.

I better be going now... want to download plenty of stuff to install muahahhaha!

2 Comments:

At 10:51 PM, Blogger fishtail said...

Wow, looks like a very teleological environment; ie. dress how you like, come late it's okay, don't worry about the space, we don't care what you download on your laptop ... just produce the results!

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger teckiee said...

fishtail: hahahah cant wait till i can start working from home!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home